MARA is Hiring
Manager & Research Coordinator
The Mackenzie Applied Research Association (MARA) is a non-profit applied agriculture research and extension organization located in Fort Vermilion, Alberta. MARA serves producers in the Mackenzie County, the northernmost agriculture region in Canada.
MARA is looking for a highly motivated, well organized professional to fill the full time position of Manager & Research Coordinator. This position reports to the Chair, Board of Directors.
The Manager & Research Coordinator, under the direction of the Board, works to develop and expand MARA’s crop, livestock and environmental research programs and extension delivery, including conducting small and field scale trials, organizing extension events, participating in provincial training programs. Specifically,
- Lead the forage and livestock research and extension programs at MARA
- Establish and maintain small plot and field scale agronomic and forage trials
- Develop agriculture and environmental programs suitable for northern Alberta’s climate
- Lead proposal and grant application development, including assisting Producers with their applications.
- Participate in government, industry and research meetings.
- Oversight of the organization’s finances and supervision of staff.
The ideal candidate will possess graduate degree in Agriculture with focus on crops, or related field and at least two years’ field experience working with cereals, pulses, oilseeds and other western Canadian crops. Experience conducting small plot trials and in organization of field tours, extension events or the ability to do so is required. Knowledge of QuickBooks is considered an asset. This position requires strong writing skills (technical and social media) & ability to communicate fluently in English. A valid class 5 driver’s license or the equivalent is required. Can you live in Canada’s remote North? If no, this is not the position for you.
- Starting salary of $65,000 – 75,000 per year based on education and experience
- Rent free accommodation.
- Health and Dental Benefits, plus moving expenses. RRSP contribution after a year of employment
To apply, kindly send your resume and cover letter as single electronic document to email@example.com by February 15, 2019. This position is open to people already residing in Canada. We thank all applicants for their submissions.